Sunday, December 11, 2011

Maddy's Sundae Shop: DIY 1st Birthday

When our first, and so far only, child Madison was about to turn the big O-N-E in November...I knew I needed the perfect theme to pull off her little celebration.  Unimpressed with the "prepackaged" party decor, I decided to embark on a DIY birthday adventure.  My quick, easy projects began to quickly add up! Before I knew it, I was swimming in a sea of birthday ideas. Over the next several posts I'll discuss each project in greater detail. Unfortunately, the thought of blogging about this of course came after I already completed the projects. In the future, I'll capture step-by-step images to help you!

Theme Inspiration: Sophie's Ice Cream Party

A search on google for "first birthday centerpieces" and I came across this web page for Sophie! (Click the link and you can see the design ideas for yourself...amazing!)

I instantly fell in love with the idea of an ice cream social themed party.  I am not a huge fan of cake myself, and thought an ice cream sundae station with awning would be a great alternative for desert.  I also fell in love with the idea of floral ice cream cone centerpieces! The rest of the ideas came as we developed the details.

Sundae Station

Floral Ice Cream Centerpieces and Sundae cups
Cake/Sundae Cup Inspiration: One Charming Party: Ice Cream Party

Every great party needs a cake...even if the guests will be eating ice cream instead! Also, what kind of first birthday doesn't have a cake to smash. Another Google search found One Charming Party and their super easy, adorable "melting" ice cream cake idea! I also then came across large disposable sundae cups. I didn't buy them from their linked shop. Instead I came across Shop Sweet Lulu, the most amazing little company to bring your event to the next level.

Original cake design featured by One Charming Party



My DIY version of the "Melting" Ice Cream Cone cake



Gift Table

DIY Party Hat



DIY Party Flags

The entertainment for Maddy's party was an incredibly talented balloon artist. It kept all the older kids occupied, even some adults! I thought I'd share the picture below to showcase one of the most popular balloons of the party. (...and of course because it's a funny picture of my husband! I guess this is his punishment for something!)



And of course! Who could forget the amazing Rachel Kline of Rachel Kline Photography for all of the amazing shots from Maddy's big day!!!! Word of advice...take all that money you saved by DIY! and hire a photographer for your first birthday bash! We never would have gotten these amazing images if we were trying to chase a one year old and host a party!!!


3 comments: